On Friday we had to leave the room at 6:55 to get to the MK for the 8am rope drop. A few weeks ago they extended the park hours in the morning (not EMH, just early opening...) and I knew that the pre-7am room departure was not going to go over too well with my crew but they took it pretty well and everyone rallied. It helped when I explained that I will actually hemorrhage and bleed out if I miss the morning show at the MK....
Then we counted it down and in we went! The crowds were very light - I think few people realized that the park was open at 8 - and they didn't corral us in the central hub at all, just let us right in! The best part of any WDW trip for me is that very first walk down Mainstreet. The music, the smells from the bakery and candy store, the castmembers all waving and greeting you like THIS will be the best day ever, it's just awesome.
We paused for the obligatory castle shot. We scored another perfect weather day!
Some day when I am old and retired I will get an AP and just sit in the central hub all day with popcorn, listen to the music and people watch!
We decided to head to Splash, and there was NO ONE heading our way. Walked right onto the boat! Kellee and Ivana had the front seat and got pretty wet. As a matter of fact, Kellee got soaked on every water ride we went on!
WooHoo!!
When we came off the ride Micky and Minnie were right there with no one around them. We had to get a group shot but first I went in for the real thing from my Main Mouse....
They're so little!
After that it was right onto Big Thunder Mountain Railroad...the wildest ride in the wilderness!
Ivana declared this to be her favorite ride so far so we did it twice. This was the only repeater on our entire trip!
After that we did the Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, and then 3 out of 4 of my buddies declared that they were ready for Space Mountain. Earlier they had said "no way" to this but the magic got to them my friends. Having done 2 out of 3 there was no way they were leaving the MK without finishing the Mountain Trifecta. Of course after having done the Rock and Roller coaster at the Studios they thought Space was pretty mellow and fun!
Next we headed back to fantasyland to ride Small World and see Mickey's Philharmagic. The crowds were still pretty light but the MK was definitely starting to fill. We grabbed a dole-whip before the line got long. AWESOME!
Then we did the Jungle Cruise and Pirates. At this point it was 11:40 and the MK was PACKED! It was time for us to leave and head to Kona for our lunchtime ADR. We did 10 top attractions before 11:30 am. Being there for park opening is soooo key!
For lunch I got this tropical chicken with mango rice. I was seriously one of the best things I ate on the whole trip. I wrote it a love sonnet as I ate....
The Poly was one of the transportation hotels for the Princess events so we only had to go down to the entrance to catch a bus to the Expo. We arrived in grand style and were welcomed by a red-carpet and dashing foot-men. A girl could get used to this!
The Expo was unexpectedly fun! I thought we were just going to pick up our race packets, but there was so much fabulous energy and great vendors and products that we stayed for over an hour. We went at the perfect time too. The early crowds had just left and the mid afternoon crowds hadn't arrived yet. Just after lunch on the first day is definitely a good time to go.
I went over to the RunDisney table to register for the Disneyland half and Jeff Galloway was there. What a surprise! He is the main trainer and coach for RunDisney and Ivana especially has followed his training plans and declares herself to be a "Galloway Runner". I raced off to find her and dragged her back to the booth. She was so surprised and very excited to meet Jeff and his wife. They were so friendly and down to earth and genuinely interested in us and our story. What beautiful people!
We bought waaay too much stuff at the Expo (all for the excellent and very healthy cause of running though right???) and then it was about 3:30. The girls wanted to head back to the resort to relax but there was no way I was going back to rest on my MK day! So the girls schlepped all my purchases for me and took them back to Kidani and I headed back to the MK for a Touring Plans meet-up at the Hall of Presidents. I got to meet a whole bunch of people that I have communicated with on-line at touringplans.com. It was great to finally see the Hall of Presidents because each time I go to the MK the people I am with don't want to see it, and GREAT to hang out with some fellow Dis-Freaks!
We met-up at the Liberty-tree which has 13 lanterns for the 13 original colonies and the flags of those colonies all around the Liberty Bell:
Inside I even got to meet Presidential Mickey! He was lookin' sharp....
After that I grabbed chowder at the Columbia Harbor House and did some shopping. Then I headed over to Tomorrowland for another attraction I always seem to miss, The Carousel of Progress. After that I just wandered around and took some twilight pictures in the park. Love this time of day in the MK!
The Castle in the fading light:
I told the Girls I would meet them at the Partners Statue at 6:45. What I forgot about was that the Mainstreet Electrical Parade was at 7 so the area around the Hub and all of Mainstreet was MOBBED! My crew ran into bus delays as well so they barely made it down Mainstreet before they closed it off and shut off the lights for the parade. Whew!
I was so glad they made it because I had a surprise Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party booked for us at 7PM. We made it there just as it was starting.
I hate waiting for Fireworks so anytime you can score a reserved spot plus amazing desserts that's a no-brainer right?
My crew was of course blown away by the sheer decadence of it all and kept declaring "ONLY in America...." It was more dessert than I have ever seen at one time that's for sure!
The Tomorrowland Terrace is the PERFECT spot for Wishes. Our view was amazing and we didn't have to fight for a spot!
The dessert party made me wish that I had more than one stomach to devote to the cause! I think Kellee and Ivana agreed with me!
As a bonus we got to see the Main Street Electrical Parade from a distance while we chilled out with coffee and dessert. Then they announced that "The Magic, the Memories and You" was cancelled due to technical difficulties. OH NO! I was sooo looking forward to seeing this new show where they have digitally mapped the castle and covered it in amazing effects.
But there is nothing like "Wishes" to cheer you up. It's so much more that fireworks. The way it's all choreographed with the music and dialogue is just.... well, MAGICAL. That's all! Tinkerbell actually flew right over our heads where we were sitting.
Wishes....
After the show ended they announced that "The Magic, the Memories and You" was fixed and would show in 15 minutes! My gang was pooped, but they totally rallied and agreed to hang out and watch it with me. It was Amazing! They put pictures taken in the park that day and project them all over the castle with about a million jaw-dropping effects. Seriously, click on the link above and watch the video. My favorite parts were when they turned the Castle black and white and then colored it in with pastels and then when they made the tower take off like a rocket ship. I didn't even take photos because If I had you would think the pictures were photo-shopped. It was so worth waiting for that when it was over I actually agreed to leave the park with my buddies and go to bed instead of rockin the MK for 2 more hours like I had originally planned. See, I'm really so very moderate.....












No comments:
Post a Comment