We ate in this cool but touristy restaurant that was a restored to the early 1900's with all this stained glass and it was really beautiful. The food was heaven! La Fermette Marbeuf I think it was called...
After that we did a little walking loop of the city. Paris is so amazing at night. We didn't make it too far after spending the previous night on an airplane though. Sleep was calling!
The next day Jeff had to spend at his conference. So I took off and explored. Love the way the tower peeks out at you everywhere you go and you get these cool new perspectives...
Jeff also had a business dinner so I signed up for a night bike tour. It was CRAZY!! We sped all over the city from 7-11:30 at night in a pack of 18 seeing everything, weaving in and out of traffic with NO HELMETS! The most challenging part was after we stopped for a cruise on the river boats, polished off like 10 bottles of wine together and then had to finish the tour on bikes. It was like an Amazing Race road-block!
Carl, our awesome tour-guide and a cool old church.
Back of the Notre-Dame:
One of the "Love-Lock" bridges. People pledge their love, put a lock on the bridge, and then throw the key into the water. In some places it's collapsing the bridges!
We saw this message on a bridge a few days later:
Funny story: when we picked Grammy up at the PE airport Aug 21 Sasha was so excited that she left her library book. When Jeff and I flew out we decided to look for it really quick and we FOUND the book!
Because we are, of course huge dorks we decided to take the book to Paris with us and to document it's travels. My bike tour companions were very much into helping me with this project:
To see the rest of the Half Moon Ranch Album click HERE.
We had an amazing evening and saw so much of the city. A bike tour of Paris is something I highly recommend... but not with kids. I would have had a coronary if Ted was on a bike in that traffic!
The next day Jeff was still busy and had another evening planned so I was on my own again. It was time to visit the last DISNEY park on my list!! I can now say that I have been to all of them. Until Shanghai Disney opens in 2016 of course...
I spent the whole day, commando style and even stayed for the fireworks. It's a really nice park, but definitely lacks that magic "something" that you get at WDW. It may have something to do with the cast members being a little bit less into it. Crowds were light and I got to ride everything I wanted to in both parks several times AND spend a lot of time just ambling around, enjoying the scenery, music and people watching. That was one thing I did love about Paris Disney, there are a lot of spots in the park where there's no ride and you're just meant to explore Tom Sawyer Island-style. It was a blissfull day!
On Friday I got my husband back... we had printed out some really great walking tours and decided to do a blend of Paris in the 17th Century and Paris in the Middle Ages. We traipsed all over and saw some great stuff. Then we entered Notre Dame...
....just as a mass was starting!
The sound in the cathedral was amazing!!
I felt kind of bad though for church-goers that have to deal with tourists at every service.
And the best ice-cream in the world!! I tried salted caramel, pear, raspberry and rose, and dark chocolate. It was divine! There is a line here all day long.
Then we were walking around the Ile de la Cite and came across this amazing little place:
It was incredibly charming and the owner saw us oogling his establishment and let us come in. The inside was even cooler than the outside! It's the oldest building on the island apparently.
For our last night we moved out of the hotel near the convention center to a cool little place right up the road from:
And that night we went to dinner at a place called Robert et Louise It was SO cool. In the Marais in an old part of the city. They seat you family-style and cook all the food over this wood fire right in front of you.
It was really great.
Then we just walked around a bit more. In Paris there's cool things around each and every corner.
On Saturday we had to leave but we didn't fly out until 11:30PM so we took a trip out to Versailles. That place is epic!
It took us 3 hours just to tour the gardens. There are a million different sections and each is about 5 acres and themed differently. It's mind-blowing.
But Versailles is just waaaaay over the top after the millionth ridiculously ornate room I totally got why the French people started beheading the aristocracy. Please Louis, you could have also maybe built some public works projects dude... enough is enough.
We had an outstanding getaway but we were ready to get home and see Grammy and the kiddos. The best part of the trip was that we had AMAZING weather. It was perfect each and every day and there was a cold, rainy front coming in right after we left. The first raindrops actually started to fall as we entered the Metro to go to the airport. It was as if Paris was sad to see us go!















No comments:
Post a Comment