Friday, July 19, 2013

Dad's Memorial Service

 Anyone who knew my Dad knows what an amazing, unique person he was.
He fought a long, hard battle with cancer and almost won! He never let it slow him down. In January he got up at 4am to watch my Mom and his Grandkids run their first 5k. I didn't think he would make it out the door that early and I was so grateful to have a buddy to cheer with. I will always cherish that memory with him of watching the sunrise together as we waited to see our runners.
He underwent a HUGE surgery with all the attitude and spunk he could muster. The surgery seemed like a success at first but in the end Dad had an unforeseen complication and he passed away on June 13. My brothers Tim and Will were there with him in his last moments along with my Mom and our wonderful friend Pam. He died in his own bed surrounded by love.
Dad did not want a funeral. He wanted a party. And we did everything in our power to make that happen. People drove and flew in from all over the country and all over the world! As people started to arrive they were able to mingle together and watch a slideshow with hundreds of pictures of Dad and hear him sing with his amazing voice.
 Then we all starting heading toward the tent for a celebration of his life.
 Dad's service was such an incredible team effort with so many people pitching in and bringing just the right piece to the puzzle. Everyone in these pictures was a part of it. Tim got us a tent the size of a football field so we could have the memorial where Dad wanted it - right in the yard! Even with impending rain clouds looming there was plenty of room under that tent for everybody.
 And look at all the smiles! I will always remember the laughter I heard all afternoon. What a great testimonial to the fact that when you know where someone is going there can be rejoicing instead of sadness.
 We had a harpist that was paid for by a family there in NC (soooo many people pitching in in so many ways...)
 Just some of the Martin clan:
 Finally we all got together and began the service.
 We had music:
 And several of us got to speak. I don't even remember what I said, I just remember looking out at all those faces and feeling so much love.
 And check out my Mom. She was so happy all day. Lots of smiles, tons of laughs. If there were any tears, I didn't see them. She chose to be happy for him instead of sad for herself and she has continued to choose that path. So inspiring...
 My sister Heather who was so instrumental in fighting to keep Dad with us through her tireless research.
 The Martin family singing. Beautiful!
 I love this picture because it just captures the spirit of the day. My Dad's friend Thomas was sharing something wonderful and he's laughing, we're all laughing, my Mom's hysterical.... what a great time.
 Afterward we all shared a wonderful meal and then spread out all over the property. We were up at the main cabin, down at Tim's distillery, up under the tent, you name it. All afternoon and way into the night there was fantastic people and wonderful conversations.
 Dad has a memorial page set up:
http://lovinglikegod.com/memorial/
I hope you'll stop by and take a peek at it. It really is the best way to get a glimpse of who he was.
I'll miss you Dad.
Love!

1 comment: