Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Singapore!

 I've always said to Jeff that if he gets to go somewhere COOL for a business trip (instead of lame ol' Houston...) that we would tag along. So finally he got to go to Singapore. The kids had only been back to school for 4 days though and I really didn't want to pull them out again. Awesome friends to the rescue: the Smiths offered to take Sasha and the Cuff family extended the same offer to Ted so I got to join Jeff in Singapore sans kids. WHOOT!!
Singapore is off the hook. I've been in ritzy places before but this place takes the cake. Not only do they have Prada, Gucci, Luis Vuitton ect, they have 10 of all those kinds of stores and you kinda get the idea that shopping at those places is like us going to Walmart. Jeff and I said that if we lived there we would be the government assistance food-stamp family in comparison! I never saw so many crazy sports cars too! And they have Rold Gold pretzels!
 Our second night we went to this great restaurant and Jeff got the biggest order of fish and chips I've ever seen. And next door was a Chocolate Lounge. Sign from God? Oh yeah...
 On Thursday we went to Sentosa, this resort island that's just full of recreation things. We went to a place called "Mega Zip" and did a parachute jump and a high ropes course.
 Me on the zip line:

This was the hardest part of the ropes course:
 Then we took trails back to the start. Jeff says that the 2 of us always end up bushwacking no matter where we are in the world. Sure enough....
 We took a gondola back to the main part of the city. Here's a shot of the Hard Rock Cafe resort and Universal Studios on Sentosa:
 And a shot of the City:
 That night we went to the Marina Bay Sands. It's this HUGE hotel with 3 towers and a ship-like structure on the top that connects all 3. The ship holds 2 restaurants, an outdoor park and an infinity pool that makes you feel like you are swimming in the clouds.
 The Grand Prix was about to race through the city that weekend so there were car displays everywhere. Easy there sista...
 Up at the top of the Marina Bay Sands:
 We went for dinner at the top and had a few extra minutes to check out the park and the pool. How cool is that?
 Here's a view of downtown Singapore.
 Aww....
 We had this amazing 7 course meal in the restaurant up there. With an incredible view of the city.
 The Grand Prix race course was lit up and as the sun set the lights of the city came on and you could see exactly where they had set up the course.
 Here's another shot of the hotel at night:
 The next day Jeff had to fly back early but my flight back wasn't until midnight so I had a day to go explore. I headed over to the Singapore Botanical Gardens.
 The National Orchid Garden was really amazing.
 Whenever we travel together my friend Tara always loves to look at flowers so these shots are for her!

After that I still had some time to kill. I decided to try a "fish spa". You stick your feet in a tank with these mini-pirahna type fishies and they immediately swarm you and start eating all the dead skin off your feet. The feeling of it is impossible to describe. Part tickly/part creepy!
 One of the fish died (It wasn't me I swear!!) and the other fish picked it down to a skeleton in about 5 minutes. EPIC! I thought I deserved a discount for this since it took some of my fish "off task".
 And finally for the super-geeks out there I have to share my best Singapore gadget moment. In August I bought a PORTABLE SOLAR PANEL (rockin'!!!). The outlets in Singapore are not compatible with American or Korean plugs and we only had one adapter for all our many, many gadgets (when geeks marry geeks it happens right?). So I whipped out my new device and saved the day. "Why yes, that IS a portable solar panel charging my iPhone. Thank-you for asking." Geeky awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment