Sunday, February 22, 2015

DIsney 2015, Expo and 5k...

On Wednesday we woke up and strolled over to the Yacht club for breakfast. It was our Expo day but also our Studios day and for once we didn't need to be there for rope-drop as we had our FP+ all made for the afternoon! Perks of the new system for sure... the Christmas tree was still up at Yacht club and it was covered in HUGE toy boats. Gorgeous!
The race Expo is Huge. HUGE! It's now held in 3 different buildings, some of them on multiple floors. It's a far cry from the first Disney Expo I experienced in 2011. I have to say I never really enjoy the Expo. It's too crowded, I can't take the time to see the things I want to, and I always lose people and it's just stressful. This year I had to check in for the Dopey, Jeff and kids had to check in for the 5K, Jeff had to check in for the Half, and we ALL had to check in for the Castaway Cay challenge. Somewhere between 5k check in and the Half I lost Jeff and the kids for a while and with no phone service on our international cell phones I had a time trying to find them again. Finally we got all the packet pick up sorted and race bags collected but never really got to check out the booths. Someday I will go alone, spend the day, and look at everything!
After that we headed to the Studios...We met Auntie Karen and Brit and started using those FastPasses!
Our Studios day just happened to be the day that they started taking down the iconic Sorcerer's Hat. The construction fences were up but they hadn't started taking down the hat itself yet so we were able to grab one final picture:
And then we just ran around the park hitting all our favorite things and some new experiences we had never done like the Frozen sing along celebration which was hysterical and really fun!
If there's no time for a margarita flight at the Brown Derby Lounge then you MAKE TIME, am I right?
We saw Fantasmic and then headed back to Beach Club and Bed, as we had an early morning ahead of us.
We woke up on Thursday morning and it was FREEZING out. SO darn cold. We should have ditched the costumes and just bundled up but we didn't quite realize the extent of the freezingness out there AND we are Disney geeks so we got Ana and Elsa'ed up and set out for the race start. We got there at 5:20 for a 6:15am race start and it was so cold and so windy no one knew what to do. Thousands of runners were huddled in this massive Penquin huddle trying not to be the penquin on the outside of the group. We stole a garbage bag and then I "borrowed" this massive blue table cloth from a VIP area and we wrapped it around the 4 of us with the kids in the middle. After that the 2 of them were OK and at least stopped shaking. I wanted to run with that tablecloth but Jeff made me put it back. Finally the race started and we were able to MOVE. I swear my feet were still frozen when we hit World Showcase!
Running through Epcot... check out Sasha still wearing the garbage bag!
Had to get a pic... The funniest thing about the freezing morning was that everyone yelled at Sasha and I because of the temperatures! "Elsa, what have you done?!? Stop the eternal winter!"  "Ana, can't you talk to your sister and have her warm things up??" It was pretty funny. So our costumes were well-themed in more ways than one!
We crossed the finish line, got our medals, and RAN to the warm bus!
After some hot showers and hot coffee we strolled over to the IG at Epcot. This was park entry 5 minutes before 9. There were 8 people in front of us!
We met up with Auntie Karen and Brit and rode a bunch of stuff in Future World..
Teddy and his Test Track car!
We had a blast, toured around World Showcase, then went back to the resort for a nap before heading back in to Epcot. Kids and I stopped at our favorite place to pick up Illuminations dessert!
We had an awesome dinner in Mexico and then had fun playing in different pavilions.
Love World Showcase at night!
Finally it was time to stake out our spot in Canada. I had to run straight to my bed after fireworks as I had another early morning ahead of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment