Sunday, January 26, 2014

Disney Christmas Days 2 & 3!

 Photo Extravaganza time!! On Sunday we got up early and headed to Animal Kingdom. We were excited for our first park day AND to try out fastpass+ with our new Magic Bands!
The park was all tricked out for the Holidays and looked amazing.
 We had decided to eat a counter service breakfast at the park since we no longer need to join the race for the Safaris (who needs the Safari ride when you live in AFRICA right?). We got an AMAZING Paleo breakfast at Pizzafari. Spinach, egg and goat-cheese frittata anyone? I'm IN! I had never been to Pizzafari because schlepping it with Pizza in AK when there is so much other amazing food would be an Epic Disney Fail, but I have to say it's an overlooked option at Breakfast and the theming in the place is awesome.
Bugs and critters lining the walls:
 We had decided to skip most rides and do the Wilderness Explorer Book this time around but first we had a FP+ for Primevil Whirl.
We did NOT need a FP. There was no one in line and they let us stay on and ride twice!
 After that we had some badges to earn! The Wilderness Explorer Activity is like a huge scavenger hunt all over the park. You have to find info and bring it to cast members who give you a sticker on that page of your book. There are over 30 badges to get and we spent most of the morning on it and earned about half of our badges. We'll finish it up on the next trip!
 Learning about teeth and jaws:
 After a nice lunch and some shows at AK we went back to the resort for a nap because we were planning to be up late. While the other 3 were napping I took a run from Epcot to the Studios. I HAD to grab us some "Glow with the Show" ears so we could have them for the Studios the next day and I wanted them to be a wake up surprise for the kids. Love strolling around the Epcot resort area:
 Beautiful Afternoon at the Studios:
 That night we got dressed up and headed over to the Contemporary for Dinner at the Cali Grill. Love the Giant Mickey Wreath at this Hotel:
 Cali Grill: Don't hate me. I just don't get this place. I want to love it but it takes itself so seriously and it's just not that special. The fireworks viewing is literally the only thing it has going for it. Food is way overpriced and not that great. Teddy got the kids steak ordered MED and it came out RAW. We sent it back. It came back RAWER (now a word... you're welcome). How does it take 3 tries to get a little kid's steak to medium. Nothing memorable, service not great - in fact I saw several examples of bad practice that should never happen at a restaurant of this level - like bringing small items to tables in hand instead of on a tray. We had a less than stellar meal there in Jan and I wanted to give it a second chance, and I wanted to love it but it's pretty lame folks. The food, atmosphere and service at Flying Fish kicks Cali Grill up and down the sidewalk. All Day Long. So not as special as they think they are:
 But then we went outside. And stood on the new South Platform to watch the fireworks. The view is amazing. I think cocktails and dessert at CG are the way to go just to get platform access. Skip the meal. Ooooh how about a Citrico's or Narcosee's Dinner with Cali Grill dessert? Could be a winner! Anyway.... I got to see my old Marathon Weekend Nemesis:
 And we had a GREAT view of the MK!
 We had timed dinner to see the Christmas fireworks on a party night. What a great show!
Aaaaaaand (Who knew!) on the new south platform you can ALSO see Illuminations happening at Epcot! The Christmas Tag is still impressive all the way from the top of the Contemp!
 After that it was down to the Contempo Cafe for some very non-Paleo Christmas Cupcakes. We all shared 2 so it wasn't too bad. Worth every bite!
 Headed back to Boardwalk after that. Definitely ready to hit the sack!
 The next morning we grabbed breakfast at the Boardwalk Bakery and the kids talked me into letting them split a cinnamon roll along with their bacon and eggs. She's in heaven!
 Great day at the Studios! We had our full allotment of FP+ as well as 2 sets of working room keys that were all functioning in the traditional FP machines so we're talking TRIPLE FP potential for all of us. It was epic. It was awesome. And it will never happen again. But for one brief, shining moment we rocked that park like FP celebs.
 Took in all the shows. Can't believe they still want to watch this one after all the times they've seen it but they still do!
 Of course it might have something to do with this guy:
In the afternoon we went back for a rest and were told that there was a DVC member mixer at Epcot. I was the only one that wanted to go!! So I went by myself. It was pretty cool! It was snowing out side in the welcome area:
 Inside was a giant party with free drinks and crafts and a dance party. Everyone got a raffle ticket and a coupon for a free Christmas treat. I got a huge rice crispie treat Christmas Tree. The kids had massive remorse when they saw it because they too could have grabbed free awesomeness. Ah well, ya win some ya lose some. (I shared)
There were also great photo opps with characters. Didn't want those pesky kids in my picture anyway.....  And on the way out they gave everyone a beautiful little velvet bag with a DVC Christmas Ornament.
 That night we ate at the new veranda section of the Hollywood Brown Derby (win!) and then took our Glow Ears to Fantasmic with a FP+. How great to be able to show up to this thing only 20 mins ahead of time!
 Then it was on to the Osborne lights. Spotted the Black Cat in the first 15 seconds....
 Had no idea the ears also worked at the Osborne lights....
 Coolest thing EVER! Do you know that you can take these ears to Paris or Tokyo or Disneyland and they will work there as well! Nerdy, geeky, awesomeness I tell you...

We took in the lights and then rode Toy Story again with 7pm FP+ reservations. It was a fantastic Evening. We walked back from the Swan and Dolphin and just enjoyed the chill atmosphere at night around the Boardwalk. Another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment