Friday, December 16, 2011

Early December

 There are all kinds of sleeping traditions right now. Teddy first. Ted has to leap into his bed each night and set up his "guarders". These are 4 animals which have to face out of the 4 corners of his bed. According to Ted the guarders watch out for dreams and keep all the bad ones away. He is hysterical scrambling to all 4 corners to set this thing up every night. They have to face outwards but the animals are interchangeable.
EXCEPT for the chicken. The Chicken guards the ladder. Always. And let's face it, the ladder is probably the weakest link in his whole bed defense so the chicken is one tough bird.
 Jeff and I have rationed Sasha to 5 sleeping toys at any one time. Because there is no room for her in her own bed. By the time we go into check her she has gotten out of bed, fetched all the exiles, and is waaaay over her quota. Don't know how she functions sleeping like this.
 Then there's this guy. This is his "I can't sleep because YOU left the lights on" pose so he sleeps with one paw over his eye. Oh the humanity...
We are trying to gear up for Christmas. It's soooo hard because there's just not much going on in Korea. No music or lights around town, no anything really so it's quite sad. But we're trying.
 We got a little tree and it's all decorated!
 And Santa came early for me this year. I FINALLY got a car!! I love it. It's a '04 Rezzo and it's got all the driving ease of a small car - easy to park and easy to swing a U-turn, but it's got a flip down 3rd row of seats for when you have more people around! I can take 7 passengers all with seat-belts!!
It's runs on propane (!). So I have to go to a special gas station that says LPG on it. I'm trying to figure out where all those propane gas stations are. But it fills up for $40!
Teddy had a cool Pre-Christmas project for school. We had to shop for cookies, crackers, and anything else they thought they could build a structure out of. Their class has been studying buildings. This is what he brought home:
 I thought it was excellent and he informed me that the red gummy bear on the marsh mellow on top is actually Santa coming down the chimney.
 My friend Cora had a gathering last Friday called "Christmas Cheer" Everyone came to her bungalow and we had Christmas treats and mulled wine ect. It was quite nice. I wanted to make my traditional Christmas castle for the kids but my Korean oven is so small that I literally can't bake a castle wall in it. So I took pictures of her bungalow:

 And made that instead! I had to lug a lot of stuff from the U.S. - you can't get molasses or candy canes here.
 The kids loved it. They hovered around for about 2 hours. We had a sign on it that said "do not eat until 6:30" and as the time came they got closer and closer. Then they got to tear in! It was gone fast. I think Ted made off with an entire wall!
 Also keeping me busy is the Christmas play. I was in charge of making 10 hedgehog costumes. I have NO IDEA what hedgehogs are doing in a Christmas play, but I guess I will find out next Wed. I finally figured out how to make a hedgehog after much experimenting:
The best thing about it all is the discovery that Max ADORES felt. He would come tearing around the corner and leap and attack me every time I was working and then start attacking my felt pile. Adorable right? We made him a fort out of all the left over pieces and he drags in from place to place in the apt and then crawls inside his felt tunnel.
 Then last Sat was the Smith's pour-out. That's a party for someone who's leaving. They are headed for Dubai. So we ambushed them in Burkas. I can't believe Zoe is leaving. We thought we would be here together until the end. So, so, sad about this.
 The Smith's left on Sat for good, Cora left on Tues until January and then this week all the Australians left the compound for good as their project is over. So we had a fun weekend and then it felt like the Grinch came and took everything and there's nothing left but a bit of wire on the wall. 90% of our friends are gone, the parties are over and we still have 2 weeks until Christmas and it's dreary and freezing outside. So sad. I forgot how hard it is to be an Expat at Christmastime. So I have been running a LOT just to have something to do. Max is doing really well right now. He's gained his weight back and seems to be puking a lot less. It comes in waves with him so it's nice to see him doing well for a change. Look at those luscious paws. Love him!
 And I got to go on a Field Trip with Sasha's class. We went to the Busan aquarium.
 Me and my girl:
 Year 3 class!
 And last but not least, trying to stay busy and summon some much needed Christmas Cheer, Sasha and I made candy canes. It was hard and there was a definite learning curve. We can't wait to make some more but we were actually very proud about how our first batch came out!

No comments:

Post a Comment