The girls and I decided that we should plan a girl's weekend. But we didn't want it to be a weekend of sitting on our derriere's eating food ect so we wanted to come up with something that would be healthy and good and that maybe we could work toward. Then I went for a hike listening to my WDW today podcast and they were talking about the Disney Princess Half Marathon. The rest as they say is history. It's the perfect event. So since September we have been runners in training. First we did a couch to 10K thing and signed up for a 10k race here in Ulsan. Then we found a 16 week 10k to half marathon training schedule and what do you know? We had EXACTLY 16 weeks between the 10k and the Disney princess. The picture above is me the morning of the 10K run which was also the first day of our 10k to half marathon. I was so excited to get the ball rolling on our 16 week journey!
I'm doing this with my friends Ivana (Croatia), Zoe (Australia), Karen (Wales) and Kellee (Australia). They are all hysterical and so fun to run with. Their accents are awesome. I will do video interviews with them at some point so you can hear what I get to run with every day. Love it. We all did the 10K except Kellee as she was bouncing back from an injury. She was there to cheer us on though!
Here's Karen, Jeff and I about to cross the finish line. We did it in 1 hour and 2 minutes! Makes me want to do another so I can beat the 1 hour mark!
Here's Zoe zipping across the finish line:
Ahhh, the sweet taste of success!! Our first benchmark on our long journey to 13.1 miles!
I couldn't wait to go home and log my run. Hey, if the sticker charts work for the kids then why not us right??
So since then we've been keeping up with our training calendar and having fun. We all take turns having great days, injured days and whiny days, but someone is always there to pull you along, talk you out of it, or celebrate a goal with you. And if you're really lucky, Karen might wag her bum at you.
L to R, Kellee, Karen, Zoe, and Abbi. Abbi is Kellee's daughter and our fav babysitter. She's been training right along with us and is smashing her personal records almost weekly. We try to do our weekly long runs down in central Ulsan by the river. There are endless running trails there and you can go for miles and it's flat. AAAANNND when you're done there are fabulous coffee shops and little stores where you can find all kinds of Princess accoutrements.
Gotta love Korean hair accessories! Last wee I scored a tiara AND these little pony tail clips with stick up bejewled crowns. Now I will look regal coming AND going. Gotta have some bling for the people you pass right?
We even have a t-shirt logo that we're going to hopefully get on our race shirts. What do you think?
The amazing thing is that we are already 1/4 done! 4 weeks down and only 12 to go!
Next week our long run is 9 miles. That's CRAZY!!!!


This is so awesome! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteRunning this too and having a hard time with the training. It's so cold -I just can't get motivated. Keep blogging because you'll help keep me going...Thanks!!!
ReplyDelete