So it looks like Jeff and I will be traveling to Ulsan October 20 - 31 (Jeff) and October 26 -31 (Me) to get the lay of the land, find housing, and figure out just what Kimchee actually tastes like (hey, if it's awful, that could be a deal breaker...)
I was really hoping that the housing thing would go something like this:
"Hey we sent you guys an email with full photo spreads of your three top hosing choices complete with maps showing the locations of the housing"
me "SWEET! We'll take a look at them"
me to Jeff "wow, these housing choices are amazing! I really like the one where they come and give you a massage every morning while someone watches your kids..."
Me to NOV " we'll take THAT one..."
But that's not how it's been goin' down. NOV apparantly has NO IDEA of where we should live in Ulsan. My plan is to buy an Ipod touch, download the Korean application, type in the phrase "Help, I need a realtor" and just walk the streets of Ulsan with the phone hopefully chanting that in Korean until someone takes pity on me and shows me some housing. I am open to better suggestions.
I am much more worried about Jeff. He actually thinks that he is going to fly into Pusan, rent a car (after a 16+ hour trip) and then DRIVE himself to Ulsan. I told him that he is going to hit the first intersection, realize that all the street signs are in HANGUL and that if he had cross referencing materials and a quiet space and 20 minutes he could probably figure them out. In a car, driving with cars honking for him to GO, not so much. So that should be interesting. If any of you get a garbled phone call on the 21st or so, it might be Jeff in Pusan or the people who found him alseep in his car because he just gave up and decided to nap.
More news to follow as we get it. And Lord I hope we get some soon. Still know nothing about the dates of the actual move, how the sale of our house works, when our big container ships, or anything else.
I have learned that 2 weeks or more may pass before you get an email back from someone in SK, and that screaming obscenities at the Rosetta Stone software is counter-productive. So I have learned one or two things in the last month....
No comments:
Post a Comment